Thanks to our Supporters
Farm News and Events
2022 Small Grains Program Opportunity Jan 4-15
Are you looking for part-time income?
The Peterborough Agricultural Roundtable is hiring an Administrative Coordinator. The Coordinator receives a stipend to help organize meetings and events, take minutes and manage communications.
For more details, click HERE
To apply, send a brief email explaining your interest and your related experience to email@example.com
Regenerative Agriculture and Climate Change
Monday, January 10, 2022 - 7:00pm
What is Regenerative Agriculture? What does it have to do with Climate Change? Can local farms adopt Regenerative approaches on their farms? Pat Learmonth, from Farms at Work, will address these questions at a 4RG Virtual Meet on Monday January 10 at 7PM. There will be time for discussion and questions.
To register, email firstname.lastname@example.org
PCFA Looking for Committee Members for 2022!
The Peterborough County Federation of Agriculture is looking for folks interested in joining the following committees:
The Governance Committee meets bi-annually to:
- Review and propose changes to the constitution
- Review and propose board structure including committees and subcommittees
- Review and recommend who sits on our board and what input or message we want them to bring to the table
- Review and propose changes to our policy
The Political Action Committee meets as required to:
- Develop and consolidate farmer opinion for the promotion of any activity within the county which will improve the welfare of the individual farmer, the farming industry and the community.
- Developing strategies to build stronger relationships with local politicians to be considered a leader within ag locally
- Develop the schedule and strategy for breakfast meetings during the coming year including involvement of other ag groups
- Develop 2022 political action messaging
The Marketing Committee meets as required to:
- Develop an advertising strategy for the coming year (our ads create awareness about our communities challenges)
- Investigate kicking our ad campaign up to the provincial level
- Develop a public awareness strategy of who we are and what we do
- Investigate and propose how to increase attendance of the ag community at local events
The Education Committee meets as required to:
- Promote and participate in cultural, social and leadership development
- Increase our support in youth ag groups as a feeder system to the boards
- Develop strategy on how to get younger people involved
- Investigate and develop more education in the community about agriculture
If you are interested in joining a committee please fill out this form: https://forms.gle/cWmNtj8JQEf98dWNA
Post-secondary scholarships - short deadline!
Posted on behalf of OSCIA: East Central Scholarships - December 31 deadline!
Students from East Central area Durham, Haliburton, Peterborough, City of Kawartha Lakes (Victoria), York. Enrolled in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year at a post-secondary institution or agricultural college. Twelve scholarships in the amount of $1000 - selection takes into account academic performance, leadership, contribution to community, involvement in rural youth organizations, with emphasis on conservation and environmental goals. If we get more than 12 then previous recipients will be eliminated.
New Video on Local Fibre Farming
Farms at Work has just published a new film entitled "From the Farm to You: The Story of Fibre in our Community". It follows on the Beef and Dairy films completed in 2020, this time introducing local fibre farmers and processors of fibre from sheep and alpacas. The film will be shown in at least 10 local schools to older students who are discussing ways to support local and the global impact of the garment industry.
View the film here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5j7CynnEFA
Looking for fabulous holiday gifts? Give a product made from local fibre! Contact the businesses in the video and/or visit peterboroughfarmfresh.ca and search "fibre".
There are many other videos on local farms in our community! Visit localfoodptbo.ca and choose "Learn"
Free support available for Covid 19 workplace consulting
Through Workplace Safety & Prevention Services (WSPS), farmers and agri-food businesses can access professional advice and consulting services to help them with their COVID-19 needs. Your workplace may be eligible for two days of services tailored to your needs (worth $2,000 - paid for by the Canadian Agricultural Partnership). Available until February 28, 2022.
The following workplaces are eligible:
- Employers, farm sector organizations and farm associations
- Provincially licensed meat plants
- Other food processors who employ 1-49 employees
Please reach out to WSPS by:
- Telephone: 1-877-494-9777 to speak with a customer service representative
- E-mail: email@example.com
Our sincere condolences to the families of...
Francis Walsh, who passed away at home surrounded by his loving family on Thursday, October 28, 2021
Joe Moloney, who passed away peacefully in his 90th year at Peterborough Hospice on Tuesday October 26, 2021
Cover Crop Grazing series starts Nov 9, 7PM
Peterborough's Chris McFarlane is one of the participants in this three-part webinar series. It is hosted by Ontario Soil and Crop Improvement Association, Beef Farmers of Ontario and Ontario Sheep. Each session features a farm paired with a researcher.
For information and to register, click here: https://www.ontariosoilcrop.org/omafra-cover-crop-grazing-webinar-series/
Looking for Rural Youth aged 18-29
Great opportunity for young rural leaders. Farms at Work is looking to nominate youth in east central Ontario who are interested in the Rural Changemakers program and supply a resume by November 7 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you or someone you know eager to lead change in your community? Would you like to learn new techniques for engagement and ways to effectively mobilize change around issues important to your community?
Read all about it: https://www.ruralontarioinstitute.ca/changemakers